Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Life's a Journey - Make it What YOU Want!



Wow, it's been a while since I've posted anything, but after some encouragement from a great friend...Back to writing I go. :)

Before starting this post, I reflected over the past couple of years. I reread my posts below, and thought about how far I have truly come. When I started my weight loss journey, it was because I could no longer handle the struggle with finding clothes which fit, and actually looked good. It was because: I couldn't walk up 10 stairs without being winded, playing Frisbee with friends became a chore I didn't want to do, I'd find myself walking into a room with my eyes on the floor because I was so ashamed of how I looked and felt.... You get the point. So, finally, enough was enough. It was time to make the dramatic life change and it could no longer be put on the back burner.

Now, I'd be lying to you if I said it was all rainbows and sparkly pony's along the way; trust me, some days, weeks and months were a STRUGGLE! But, I knew where I wanted to go, and I was bound and determined to get there, even if it took me years. Oddly enough, it did. About two years into my journey I finally hit my 'goal' weight and realized my body still did not look like it had in my magical skinny girl dreams (where were my abs?!). So, I knew it was time to lace up my tennis shoes, push harder at the gym and create my new goal!

At this point in my post, I need to mention I NEVER would have decided upon my 'new goal' if it wasn't for some pretty amazing people at the gym (I like to refer to them as my Gym Family). Several of these wonderful people kept talking about competition with me and encouraging me to give it a try. And, after about a month being built up by my fabulous gym family on a daily basis, I realized... Heck, here's my new goal! Again with their help and the help of a trainer who I was already working out with (3 days a week), I pulled another trainer into my team of success makers!

Again, I'm not going to feed you a line of how easy it was or how everything just fell into place; because it wasn't and it didn't. I rearranged my life for this goal; some people understood and others did not. But, for the first time ever, I put myself at the top of my list. Granted, there are people in my life who I love dearly and they still came before me when they needed to, but I made sure to continue to keep myself up there too. And, 16 weeks later, ready or not, I competed in my first figure competition.

Guess what....?! I was ready! Pulling that itsy-bitsy suit out of my bag that morning and sliding it on was one of the most rewarding feelings in the entire world. Why you ask? Because it fit! Now, for any of you who have not seen a competition suit, lets just say at 16 weeks out it was sucking into places in a very bad way and literally looked like a suit that was purchased three sizes too small. So, like I said, sliding that bad boy on, and having it fit (well by the way) screamed, "You hit your goal lady!" And, when I walked on that stage, both in the morning and again that night, I felt so proud and accomplished looking out into the crowd.

Picture this, a once self-proclaimed fat-girl standing on stage, in an itsy-bitsy purple suit, with big hair, an oompa loompa orange show tan, and stage makeup - Feeling more confident than she ever has in her entire life. Yep, that girl was me! At that point, it didn't matter if I took dead last. I was up there, posing my heart out, without a care in the world (other than holding my pose that is). It felt absolutely spectacular! And, to top it off, I didn't even take last... I took 3rd! Seriously now, 3rd place in my first competition, I was elated! I didn't think I could get any higher; until I found out I also qualified for Nationals!

With all that being said, I need to mention again, there is absolutely NO WAY I would have made it through this season without the never-ending support of my family, friends, gym family and trainer. These people pulled me up off the floor more time than I can count and encouraged me to keep pushing even when I didn't believe I could. They listened to me, advised me, pushed me and held me through the entire process. These people are truly amazing. So, to end this post, I am so grateful to everyone around me who supported and loved me through this process. I truly could not have done it without you. And, I'm super proud to say - I accomplished my goal and now know I am as strong as I want to be and can do anything I set my mind to. What's next - maintenance of course, but the sky's the limit!

Now for some fun... :)



My trainer Todd Scott and me after the show. 3rd place baby!





I have never enjoyed a Gatorade so much in my life!


Posing my heart out!



A portion of my gym family! For more pics, check me out on FB!

2 comments: