Thursday, February 2, 2012

What You Eat Matters!


I seem to have a lot of people ask me about what I eat, when I eat, how much I eat... Well, I can't, and won't give you all my diet, but I can offer some tips I've learned along the way thanks to the help of my trainer, friends and countless hours of research!

We need food to fuel our body; and here's the really important point... We need food more than three times a day.  Most athletes eat a minimum of five times a day, and some even six.  Now, I know that sounds like a lot, but think about it.  Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack...  Really, you are eating to keep yourself running all day long. 

What you eat and how much really depends on where you are, what results you are trying to achieve and your fitness level.  Consumption of fats, carbs and proteins will be different for every athlete and every body type, but healthy food is the consistent piece of the entire day (and a healthy life).  For example, swap out chicken for pork, a sweet potato for a white potato, or brown rice for white rice.  Simple changes like these add up fast and help your body run more efficiently!  It really doesn't take a whole lot of brain power when eating healthy.  Stay away from sugars and processed food, and you're already making some big steps.

Now, if we really think about it, a healthy diet can be easily followed if we put our mind to it.  But, I can tell you from experience, walking away from the doughnut or piece of cake can be very difficult.  Most of us grew up indulging in fast food and cartons of ice cream.... There are days when I would trade my pinky finger for an entire package of Oreo's.  Or when I'm pretty sure one more bite of egg white is going to kill me.  But, I have to look at myself and ask: What I'm shooting for?  A great friend once told me to remind myself as I'm staring down that piece of cake in the break room: "That is not for me."  Truthfully, I find myself chanting that mantra several times a week.  But, as my fat starts to come off again, and my muscle definition comes back, I know it's all worth it! 

With all that being said, food choices need to be a lifestyle, not a fix-it-quick diet.  Go ahead and have a cheat meal or day... ONCE a week.  But I guarantee you this; once you start eating clean diet, those cheat meals and/or days aren't going to be as much fun as they once were.  You realize what it takes to get to your goals, see the body and health changes, and move toward a healthier lifestyle.  After a few weeks, the healthy habit sets in and your body reaction after your cheat just isn't as worth it as it was! 

Good luck and healthy eating!!!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I relate so SO much to a lot of what you have to say. I am prepping for my first figure show in 3.5 weeks and seeing your pictures just made me so so excited. You look amazing~ I am anxious to keep up with your blog-- thanks for being the "push" I needed today!

    ReplyDelete