Monday, December 20, 2010

Gym Time = My Sanity, My Sanctuary

Today was one of those days... One of those days where it took everything in me to eat healthy and go to the gym. I struggled through work; Christmas cookies and candy were on every table in every single office and I was so busy I didn't even have time to catch my breath. And, to top if off, it was just one of those days where I felt like even though I was busy all day, nothing got accomplished. So, when it was finally time for me to head out, all I really wanted was to be lazy.

Even though I really just wanted to go home, do some cleaning and wrap the pile of presents in my living room, I decided to keep going straight, and not turn on my road when I was almost home. I drug myself into the gym, forced myself to get changed, and decided I was going to hit it hard even though I really didn't want to.

My five minute warm up dragged on forever, but when the timer on the stair stepper beeped at me, I walked to the free weights and decided to make it count. I pushed out my full workout, plus a little more, and even did a full abdominal workout after my lift. And I felt better. Still not 100%, but much better. And then, I pushed out my cardio - and felt even better.

Driving home I realized (yet again... I seem to be a bit stubborn on this sometimes) the gym is my happy place. If I can just get myself there, it will help make me feel better about my place in the world. Even when I don't initially want to go, as soon as I start my lift, the gym becomes my most favorite place in the world. I feel stronger, and more capable to take on whatever comes at me, and I walk away feeling a sense of accomplishment. The gym really is my sanctuary, and at this point, I couldn't give it up for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment